Monday, January 12, 2009

Maintain Storage Memory on Samsung Omnia i910

There are number of people having memory related issues on Samsung Omnia. Well I have created list of tips on how to increase storage space.

First, understand that the Main storage memory is separate memory bank and it has no relationship with the My Storage 8 GB memory. Your total storage capacity is 88.12 MB which is used by preloaded apps.

1. Third party applications: If you have installed applications on Main Memory please refrain from using it and save all 3rd party application in My Storage or the extended micro SD card. One of the third party application which you may have downloaded is part of vzw application. Its the Vzw app zone, this application will use up to 30MB of your storage memory. I would advise you to uninstall it from main memory and save it to different location. To check programs installed on main memory go to Start -- Settings -- System -- Remove Programs -- Select desired application and choose Remove.

2. Email attachments: Save all email attachments to storage card memory. Large attachments which are saved on main memory uses large storage spaces. To enable saving attachments to storage memory follow the steps below:
Open Messaging -- Select Menu Options -- Select Storage and check save attachments to memory card.
Any time you download an email its being cached in messaging directory. If you have multiple POP/IMAP or exchange server mail account setup to download emails this will gradually use more storage space. As files get accumulated your storage memory will decrease. To clean all cached email files follow the steps below:
Click Start -- Programs -- File Explorer -- Press Up key on bottom left to open root directory -- In my device open windows dir -- select messaging -- tap menu -- select edit and choose select all to highlight all files -- tap menu -- edit -- and delete. Deleting these files will increase storage space and improve device functionality.

3. Delete Cache for Opera Mobile and Pocket IE: If you are heavy Internet browser, then you may want to do this. Just like your PC Browser these devices use storage memory. If you are heavy internet user, I would suggest going through this frequently.
Open Opera Mobile and tap the arrow on the bottom right to open Menu option. Select Settings and tap privacy. Trash all Cookies, temp, history and downloads.
For Pocket IE: Open IE -- Press Menu -- tools -- options -- memory -- tap delete files and delete history. (Device will not display any confirmation message, requested operation will process in the background). Tap security and clear cookies.

This made huge difference for my device. So if you are heavy Internet user be sure to do this.

4. Save all Multimedia files to storage 8GB or extended micro SD memory.
By default the camera application is save all images to Main Memory, changing it to storage memory will stop from using main memory. Launch camera application by pressing and holding the camera button on the side. Tap the settings or setup tab and select settings tab next to camera. In settings tab change save location from Main to My Storage or Storage Card if present.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot for this information it was very helpful, they should really tell you this when you BUY the phone. :oD Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may seem like a question I should know the answer to but I don't want to delete all the files on 'My Storage' but I want to reset 'My Device'...

    So...

    QUESTION: Will resetting 'My Device' reset also 'My Storage'??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is way more helpful than the crap tutorials on Samsung's site! Thanks a ton!

    I've also got a question for you... I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something, but whenever I try to open an attachment with my email on my Omnia, it will download the attachment, but a warning message saying "Cannot display the attachment." comes up. It does this with jpg's, word documents, every attachment I've tried.

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    ReplyDelete